1/30/11

Indian Tradition





 A little bit of history about my heritage and life. My dads side of the family is Catawba Indian, from South Carolina. My great grandmother was full blooded Indian. The peice of pottery above is an Indian Wedding Vase. My brother's dad bought it for me in Nevada when we used to travel to Oklahoma to see his family! He gave it to me on my 16th  birthday. The side showing is the side you put facing if you are seeking a man. The other side has a flower (for the woman). The two holes on each side are for the ceremony where you take sand from your land and the husband takes sand from his and you pour them in and they mix. It's a form of connecting with your mate forever. Through the years of being married you can put roses and other things in there. If you divorce the vase must be broken! I thought it was beautiful tradition and vase, and I treasure it! However, I haven't used it! :( Idk why.

1 comment:

  1. I love this!!...and the story behind it! Traditions are one of the fibers of family that makes each so unique! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete